Junior Member

Default Help :)

Hi Guys.
This is my first post so I'm not too sure if I'm posting it in the right place or not :O
I’m a volunteer at a kids and young person’s club. We sometimes take them on day trips and need to hire transport and I’m trying to determine the size of the vehicle. I’m trying to write a formula that will calculate if the kids are under 16yrs old they need to be accompanied by an adult so we need 2 seats, if they’re over 16 they can go on their own and we only need 1 seat. My problem is if some of the kids aren’t attending at all so I obviously I don’t need a seat for them. So I think I have some of the formula but I don’t know how to deal with the kids who don't attend and don't know how to complete it. This is what I have so far. Can anybody help please?
=IF(AND(C5<=16,D5="Yes"),2,1)
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmieR View Post
Hi Guys.
This is my first post so I'm not too sure if I'm posting it in the right place or not :O
I’m a volunteer at a kids and young person’s club. We sometimes take them on day trips and need to hire transport and I’m trying to determine the size of the vehicle. I’m trying to write a formula that will calculate if the kids are under 16yrs old they need to be accompanied by an adult so we need 2 seats, if they’re over 16 they can go on their own and we only need 1 seat. My problem is if some of the kids aren’t attending at all so I obviously I don’t need a seat for them. So I think I have some of the formula but I don’t know how to deal with the kids who don't attend and don't know how to complete it. This is what I have so far. Can anybody help please?
=IF(AND(C5<=16,D5="Yes"),2,1)
Hi,

Have a look at the attached. Without an example workbook from you it's difficult to pre-empt your layout and what each column is for, so in my example I've used "Yes" in column D to denote whether or not a child will be attending a given event.

I've provided a formula for Excel 2003 and earlier and one for Excel 2007 and later as you didn't stipulate which version you were using.

Hopefully this is of some use to you. Happy to help further if I'm way off the mark with my approach.

S.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CarmieR Example.zip (4.6 KB, 63 views)
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi,

Have a look at the attached. Without an example workbook from you it's difficult to pre-empt your layout and what each column is for, so in my example I've used "Yes" in column D to denote whether or not a child will be attending a given event.

I've provided a formula for Excel 2003 and earlier and one for Excel 2007 and later as you didn't stipulate which version you were using.

Hopefully this is of some use to you. Happy to help further if I'm way off the mark with my approach.

S.
Hi Carmie,

I replied to your email. Looking forward to seeing what you have so far and helping you get your workbook finished.

S.