Junior Member

Location: Chicagoland
Default Identifying Unique ID's in a Single Column

Hello -
I have thousands of ID's in a single column and need to find all ID's that have a (-#) the # are varied; 1, 2 3 etc... at the end. Sorting does not work, the -# are at the end of the ID.
Thank You!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Michael,

Am Thu, 23 May 2013 16:19:50 +0100 schrieb MichaelPK:

I have thousands of ID's in a single column and need to find all ID's
that have a (-#) the # are varied; 1, 2 3 etc... at the end. Sorting
does not work, the -# are at the end of the ID.

your IDs in column A. Then select A1:An = Conditional Formatting = Use
a formula to determine which cells to format = Formula:
=ISNUMBER(--RIGHT(A1,1)) and select a background color. Now you can
filter by color.

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

Location: Chicagoland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
Hi Michael,

Am Thu, 23 May 2013 16:19:50 +0100 schrieb MichaelPK:

I have thousands of ID's in a single column and need to find all ID's
that have a (-#) the # are varied; 1, 2 3 etc... at the end. Sorting
does not work, the -# are at the end of the ID.

your IDs in column A. Then select A1:An = Conditional Formatting = Use
a formula to determine which cells to format = Formula:
=ISNUMBER(--RIGHT(A1,1)) and select a background color. Now you can
filter by color.

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Hello Claus - Thank You for your suggestion. As I am dealing with 10's of thousands of ID's/Rows, filtering does not work. My apologies for not providing this in the initial post. I have found a solution: =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("-",A2)),A2,"")
Regards, Michael