Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default The instruction at "0x65255ac9" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be read. Clikc OK to terminate etc

Hello

I had a problem with my Excel 97 spreadsheet causing this error. I had
macros in the spreadsheet - when I selected Do Not enable macros when I
opened the spreadsheet the problem went away (but obviously I lost the macro
functionality!).

Does anyone have any tips on avoiding these memory access errors?

I am not sure if this solved it but I had an event function which seemed to
crash on this line:

if m_bEvents = false then exit sub

I had declared m_bEvents like this:

Dim m_bEvents

I changed to Dim m_bEvents As String which seemed to get rid of the problem.
However, for a test I put back to just Dim m_bEvents and the error didn't
re-appear. so I was confused.

I also changed the name m_bEvents to m_bTriggerEvents in case m_bEvents was
an Excel reseved variable.

Any clues as to why I experienced this problem?

Angus Comber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No real answer I am afraid, but a couple of observations.
You do not show where the faulty(?) line occurred. Was it in code that
ran during the opening of the sheet ? ie. was any code actually
running ?
'--------------------------------------
<<I had declared m_bEvents like this:
<<Dim m_bEvents
This Dim method will default as if you had put :-
Dim m_bEvents As Variant
thus accepting any data type.
'------------------------------------------
<<I changed to Dim m_bEvents As String
<<if m_bEvents = false then exit sub
These lines are inconsistent because you are using m_bEvents as if it
were Boolean, so should have used :-
Dim m_bEvents as Boolean.
This would probably not cause an error because Excel would obligingly
make it ="False" and use it as if you had declared it correctly.
'------------------------------------------
<<I also changed the name m_bEvents to m_bTriggerEvents in case
m_bEvents was
an Excel reseved variable.
To test for reserved names in the VB Editor, type the word and press
F1 key (not 100% reliable).
Cannot see any problem with this.
On the whole, although not 100% correct, I cannot see any real problem
with your code - which suggests a corrupted module. I always get a
corrupted module if I accidentally declare the same variable twice and
try to run the code (XL97). Copy/paste the code into NotePad. Delete
your module. Then Copy/Paste code back from NotePad into a new module.

Regards
BrianB