Junior Member

Default Linking to specific tables in web data

Greetings, and might I say a hearty hello to new faces. I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post.

I have a bit of a dilemma. I know what I want, just not how to get there.

I need to dump data from a particular table on several consecutive web pages (html docs declared in a text file and the table has the same id on each page) into consecutive cells. An example shown below:

'table1' is where the data is located on each page.
http://asite.com/001.html[table1] -- dump to $A$1
http://asite.com/002.html[table1] -- dump to $A$2
http://asite.com/005.html[table1] -- dump to $A$3
etc.

Like I said, all the html documents are declared in a separate text file. So I imagine it would entail assigning a variable to line 1 in the text file, taking that variable and gathering the table1 data from it (which is the part I don't know), dump that to A1, and then reassign the variable to line 2. I know this means a loop statement, and I know how to get the data from the text file. It's getting the data from the table1 on each instance of the variable that's a little perplexing. Then dumping that data to the next cell in the column. Perhaps I just haven't looked hard enough... or maybe I need to take this apart piece by piece and examine it that way, and write the code by pieces first (sorry, going off into my world again).

Anyway, I don't want the whole code, I just want an idea of what I might be able to do in this situation. Don't spare the programming jargon either. I know enough about vb to understand what's said. It may help me in the long run anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

1. record a macro (webquerymacro) that uses a webquery to get the data from
one website
2. write a second macro (loopingmacro) that loops through file names in your
list of websites file
3. in the looping macro thereshould be 3 lines of code...
dim websiteURL as string
for each URL in sourcefile
websiteURL = filename[n]
call webquerymacro
next

from your application use a button to call looping macro to get your results

--
bleachlizard