Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I get rid of the green triangle/upper left cell corner

I have a column of zip codes, some of which begin with '0'. We're using a
mail merge to create letters; we have the apostrophe before the numeric text
so that the '0's will print, but something is happening and halfway through
the merge results the zip codes start losing digits! What can this be?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I bet that those offending zipcodes aren't really text--they don't have the
leading apostrophe.

I bet that they've got a custom format:
format|Cells|Number tab
either Special category (zip code)
or
Custom and something like:
00000

(Saved from a previous post.)

Debra Dalgleish posted this:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

==========
I often cheat instead of racking my brain.

I'll insert another column (probably hidden!) and use:
=text(a2,"00000")
(or whatever format I want)
and use that field in the mailmerge.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a sense that you can help me, but your answer didnt quite get it.
Heres the thing: I have an Excel spreadsheet with columns by name, address,
etc. One column is 5 digit zip codes. The apostrophe precedes most of the
zip codes, although most of them do not begin with zero.

Were using this spreadsheet in a mail merge; the initial rows of data merge
and display fine, and then the zip codes start to go crazy with dropping more
and more digits. Please help!!!!

"vera" wrote:

I have a column of zip codes, some of which begin with '0'. We're using a
mail merge to create letters; we have the apostrophe before the numeric text
so that the '0's will print, but something is happening and halfway through
the merge results the zip codes start losing digits! What can this be?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I still think that the zipcodes that lose their leading 0's are really not
text--I'm betting that you don't really have that leading apostrophe.

You can either format the values as they're brought into the mailmerge (check
those links) or you can modify your values--maybe using a helper column with
that =text() formula in it. Then use that column in the mailmerge.

"vera" wrote:

I have a column of zip codes, some of which begin with '0'. We're using a
mail merge to create letters; we have the apostrophe before the numeric text
so that the '0's will print, but something is happening and halfway through
the merge results the zip codes start losing digits! What can this be?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default little late

realise this is much after the fact,

but i do believe it is not completely based on the of formatting of the column but how the column is being interpetted

if the data is of mixed type numerics and text it scans up to 30?? cells and uses that to determine if the entire column is to be read as text or numeric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This post is referring to??

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP