Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Grouping before entering into a chart

Is there a way of grouping data before using it in a graph.
I have data as follows

Red 2
Green 3
Red 1
Blue 1
Green 3

What I am after is for the graph to show three entries Red 3, Green 6, Blue
1

Any help would be apprieciated

Tony

PS. It's just for my sons football team scores - I just need to show how
many goals in each set of matches in a group

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

The chart will not group the data for you. You would need to determine those
values using formula or pivot tables.
I think in your case PT would be overkill. Instead use the following
formula.

Assuming your data is in A1:B5 enter the colours in D1:D3

D1: =Red
D2: =Green
D3: =Blue

In E1 enter this formula and then copy down to E2:E3

E1: =SUMIF($A$1:$A$5,D1,$B$1:$B$5)

You can now create a pie chart on the range D1:E3

See these 2 articles for more information on pies and zero suppress.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel