Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Excel not able to add up... (sometimes)

Hi,

I have an intermittent error where Excel fails to calculate values properly.
This is within our Citrix farm but there is no pattern to the server people
are on.

Sometimes, you can be in a worksheet and hitting F9 will calculate the value
of some equation to be 0, the answer is always zero. Even something as
simple as 1+1 results in 0.

You can exit Excel, reopen the file and all will be good again. Then a few
days later perhaps the problem will crop up. This happens on numerous files
so it doesn't appear to be the file iteslf.

We have recently rebuilt the farm completely (for other reasons, but we'd
hoped this may cure the problem) but the problem has continued.

I'm stumped on this. Anyone have any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi,

I take it no-one has come across this before then... I'll kee[p looking
around for something and post back if I find anything useful.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Your assumption that no one has noticed is incorrect.

It is a common problem when adding numbers with many decimal points.

See John McGimpsey's site for explanation and workaround.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 02:02:01 -0700, The Yeti
wrote:

Hi,

I take it no-one has come across this before then... I'll kee[p looking
around for something and post back if I find anything useful.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi,

Thanks for that. However, I don't believe it is the same issue. When the
problem is happening the users can open a new workbook and in any cell just
type =1+1 and press enter. The result is 0. This is not a precision thing
as we are working with integers.

Any other ideas welcome...