LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  

Default Mass Setting Data Labels on Stacked Chart

I have a stacked bar chart that I update on a weekly basis in Excel 2010. The # of stacks stays the same (workcenters), the series in each stack varies depending on the tools that were run in that workcenter that week. The source of the chart is a pivot table that summarizes the individual data records I get from my ERP program. The first time I created the chart, I went into each series, turned on the data values and changed the format to display the series name (tool #). However, the next week, as the tool #'s changed, some of the data labels were missing. I know I can set each one individually...is there a way to turn on the data labels / format the data labels for all series in a chart at the same time?

Update...I just learned that if you select the chart itself, go to PivotChart Tools, Select Layout, Data Labels, you can turn them all on / off at once. However, Excel defaults to the VALUE for the data label. Even if I have the entire graph selected, when I try to go to More Data Label Options, to change the label to the Series Name, instead of the Value, Excel only changes one series. How can I make Excel default to show the Series Name instead of the Value, so that I can turn all the Series Names on at once?

Last edited by dorio : May 30th 14 at 05:57 PM Reason: added version info