Junior Member

Default excel disappeared

Help! I run Windows XP which has been running very slowly for some days now. Today, I wanted to update accounts and found that when I clicked on any excel icon Windows Installer started trying to load XP.
I entered excel into "run" and it started up but Windows Installer still tried to load XP.
I ran a search for excel.exe and have come up with EXCEL.EXE-2C971FD7.pf (in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch)
and also EXCEL (in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10).
I really am totally ignorant about the workings of computers (I just push the buttons) and I don't know what to do now to stop installer coming up every time I hit the excel icon.
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Cook View Post
Help! I run Windows XP which has been running very slowly for some days now. Today, I wanted to update accounts and found that when I clicked on any excel icon Windows Installer started trying to load XP.
I entered excel into "run" and it started up but Windows Installer still tried to load XP.
I ran a search for excel.exe and have come up with EXCEL.EXE-2C971FD7.pf (in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch)
and also EXCEL (in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10).
I really am totally ignorant about the workings of computers (I just push the buttons) and I don't know what to do now to stop installer coming up every time I hit the excel icon.
Try reinstalling your MS Office with the use of your MS Office Installation CD or by:

Start Control Panel Add or Remove Programs MS Office Change Repair.
Asobi Wa Owari Da
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchew View Post
Try reinstalling your MS Office with the use of your MS Office Installation CD or by:

Start Control Panel Add or Remove Programs MS Office Change Repair.
Thanks for that - I shall try! In the meantime I have, on the advice of someone else, set my system restore to an earlier date which seems to have worked for the time being.
I have bought a clickfree automatic backup device and I shall download all my files before I try anything else.
Christine