Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Can I make an xls start up in 2003

ever since I've installed 2007, all my files will start up 2007 when I
double -click them.

Can I set up my machine so that:

xlsx will open up 2007

and

xls will open up 2003

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup,microsoft.public.excel

hi
windows considers the last version installed as the default so it's basicly
a windows thing, not necessarily an excel thing.
one possible fix would be to reinstall excel 03 to re-set it as default.
another would be to do a detect and repair in 03 setup. some have reported
success with this.

good luck.
regards
FSt1

"Michelle" wrote:

ever since I've installed 2007, all my files will start up 2007 when I
double -click them.

Can I set up my machine so that:

xlsx will open up 2007

and

xls will open up 2003

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup

Try this: Open any folder in Explorer, go to Tools/ Folder options/ File types. Select
XLS. Then pick Change. The Open With window will open. Pick Browse. Go to /Program
Files/microsoft office/Office 11 and choose Excel. Pick Open. Back on the Open With window
check "always use the selected file to open this kind of file." Hit OK and you are done.
This should work on XP. On Vista or Win 7 there should be a similar routine.

rs

:
: Can I set up my machine so that:
:
: xlsx will open up 2007
:
: and
:
: xls will open up 2003
:
: Thanks
:
: M
:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.setup

On 5/13/2010 1:49 AM, Michelle wrote:
ever since I've installed 2007, all my files will start up 2007 when I
double -click them.

Can I set up my machine so that:

xlsx will open up 2007

and

xls will open up 2003

Thanks

I found it was easier to open Excel files from within Excel -- either
version. That's no longer a concern -- I finally dumped Excel 2003,
although I save most of my spreadsheets as .xls.

Bill