Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Need to open 2 Instances of Excel 2007

I have a user that needs to open 2 spreadsheets in 2 different Excel windows.
She had the "Ignore other applications that use Dymanic Data Exchange (DDE)"
checked, allowing for multiple instances of Excell, but this function did not
allow her to double click a file to open in Excel. She would have to open
Excel, and open the file that way. Unchecking this box allows the files to
be opened by double clicking, but takes away the ability to open multiple
instances of Excel.

We, as a company, are migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007 and the user
states she was able to do this in Excel 2003 with no problems. Did this
functionality change in Excel 2007, or are there more settings to check?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi,

To always start on a new instance, use this free utility:
http://orlando.mvps.org/ExcelFreeMore.asp?IdC=morewin

....and to keep an instance temporally in exclusive mode, use this two events
in
your workbook:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True

Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False

Croft

"jvaughn75" wrote in message
I have a user that needs to open 2 spreadsheets in 2 different Excel
windows.
She had the "Ignore other applications that use Dymanic Data Exchange
(DDE)"
checked, allowing for multiple instances of Excell, but this function did
not
allow her to double click a file to open in Excel. She would have to open
Excel, and open the file that way. Unchecking this box allows the files
be opened by double clicking, but takes away the ability to open multiple
instances of Excel.

We, as a company, are migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007 and the
user
states she was able to do this in Excel 2003 with no problems. Did this
functionality change in Excel 2007, or are there more settings to check?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I think I might have a better solution:

I was able to perform some tests in a virtual machine, using Windows 7 and
found that if I uninstall Office 2007, Uninstall Office 2003, and perform a
clean install of Office 2007, I was able to open 2 instances of Excell by
double clicking on the files. This came after I found another employee using
Office 2007 that did not upgrade, but performed a fresh install.

"jvaughn75" wrote in message
I have a user that needs to open 2 spreadsheets in 2 different Excel
windows.
She had the "Ignore other applications that use Dymanic Data Exchange
(DDE)"
checked, allowing for multiple instances of Excell, but this function did
not
allow her to double click a file to open in Excel. She would have to open
Excel, and open the file that way. Unchecking this box allows the files
be opened by double clicking, but takes away the ability to open multiple
instances of Excel.

We, as a company, are migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007 and the
user
states she was able to do this in Excel 2003 with no problems. Did this
functionality change in Excel 2007, or are there more settings to check?
Thanks in advance for the help.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi, I'm using Excel 2003 and desperately need to open new instances of Excel
for each workbook. Where do I find the "Ignore other applications that use
Dymanic Data Exchange (DDE)" referred to in the original post?

Thanks in advance,
Carol

"jvaughn75" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

in 2003 it would be

ToolsOptionsGeneral Ignore other apllications.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP