Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Simple problem, simple formula, no FUNCTION !

I need to automatically date stamp a two column entry and retain the date.
The formula in column C could be =IF(AND(A10,B1=0),TODAY(),NOCHANGE) This
would result in the date appearing in column C when an entry is made in A1
and the date holding when an entry is made in B1 - how simple. Except there
isn't a function like NOCHANGE available. (this would also be the perfect
solution for killing circular references and reiterations in a single cell)
So, can anbody please advise how I can achieve the same result from a
formula using the available functions in Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm afraid you cannot solve this tasks with formulae, you have to create a
Change event macro for it!

Regards,
Stefi

Ron@Buy ezt *rta:

I need to automatically date stamp a two column entry and retain the date.
The formula in column C could be =IF(AND(A10,B1=0),TODAY(),NOCHANGE) This
would result in the date appearing in column C when an entry is made in A1
and the date holding when an entry is made in B1 - how simple. Except there
isn't a function like NOCHANGE available. (this would also be the perfect
solution for killing circular references and reiterations in a single cell)
So, can anbody please advise how I can achieve the same result from a
formula using the available functions in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your prompt response Stefi, I might have guessed. I was using the
suggested formula over 15 years ago in a DOS based fully integrated (word
processor, database & spreadsheet) software program. Perhaps Microsoft will
catch up one day !!!
Regards
Ron

"Stefi" wrote:

I'm afraid you cannot solve this tasks with formulae, you have to create a
Change event macro for it!

Regards,
Stefi

Ron@Buy ezt *rta:

I need to automatically date stamp a two column entry and retain the date.
The formula in column C could be =IF(AND(A10,B1=0),TODAY(),NOCHANGE) This
would result in the date appearing in column C when an entry is made in A1
and the date holding when an entry is made in B1 - how simple. Except there
isn't a function like NOCHANGE available. (this would also be the perfect
solution for killing circular references and reiterations in a single cell)
So, can anbody please advise how I can achieve the same result from a
formula using the available functions in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, there are several points in MS software requiring improvement. Sometimes
I feel MS makes desperate efforts to develop spectacular but not really
necessary features and neglects small but useful ones.

"Stefi" wrote:

I'm afraid you cannot solve this tasks with formulae, you have to create a
Change event macro for it!

Regards,
Stefi

Ron@Buy ezt *rta:

I need to automatically date stamp a two column entry and retain the date.
The formula in column C could be =IF(AND(A10,B1=0),TODAY(),NOCHANGE) This
would result in the date appearing in column C when an entry is made in A1
and the date holding when an entry is made in B1 - how simple. Except there
isn't a function like NOCHANGE available. (this would also be the perfect
solution for killing circular references and reiterations in a single cell)
So, can anbody please advise how I can achieve the same result from a
formula using the available functions in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For one way, see

In article ,
Ron@Buy wrote:

So, can anbody please advise how I can achieve the same result from a
formula using the available functions in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, you don't. See

for one alternative using worksheet functions.

In article ,
Stefi wrote:

I'm afraid you cannot solve this tasks with formulae, you have to create a
Change event macro for it!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you
Seems to work OK apart from the circular reference which I can live with, oh
and I note that the cell with the formula should be locked as clicking on it
can drop the date!
Once again Thanks