John Stauffer

Default Microsoft Templates

When I attempt to download a Excel template from Microsoft's template area,
I receive the following error:

Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. An error log
has been created.

Excel starts to open, and then closes.

Where is the log, and what setting do I need to change to get the document
to open?

Thanks

John

excel_googler

I also encounter the same...see if this helps...

Dave Peterson
Guest Posts: n/a

"Excel.exe has generated Errorsand neesd to close"

Each version of excel handles corrupt workbooks differently (or
workbooks on the
cusp of corruption(?)).

Since you've tried xl2002, maybe xl2003 would open it saving a little
more.

And lots of people have said that OpenOffice can open workbooks that
excel
can't.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

And if things go really bad, there are commercial recovery services.
I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

--
excel_googler
excel_googler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16610