Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Go to a column in a selected row?

I have a full row selected and I've opened the Go To dialog. The text
cursor is at its left end. What do I now type in the Reference field to
select the cell in (say) column H please?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cel-GoTo-1.jpg

Alternatively, how can I get the row number rrr copied to the clipboard,
so that I could then enter the specific cell address Hrrr?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a full row selected and I've opened the Go To dialog. The text
cursor is at its left end. What do I now type in the Reference field
to select the cell in (say) column H please?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cel-GoTo-1.jpg

Alternatively, how can I get the row number rrr copied to the
clipboard, so that I could then enter the specific cell address Hrrr?

There's a couple of ways you could go:

Give colH a Defined Name as follows:

Select A1 and open the define name dialog;
Enter the same name as the header (minus illegal naming chars);
Make it sheet level;
In the RefersTo box type: =$H1
(..make it col-absolute, row-relative)

Now you can select the name in the NameBox instead of using
GoTo dialog when any cell in the row is selected!

Use a macro:

Sub GoToH()
Application.GoTo {"H" & ActiveCell.Row]
-OR-
Application.GoTo {NamedCol] '//my preference
End Sub

You could assign a keyboard combo if you use it a lot.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

[...]

Thanks Garry, I'll try both of those approaches.

I realised after posting that my query might sound a bit strange. I
should have reminded others of the following background.

I write macros with a program called Macro Express Pro, using hundreds
of them to improve PC productivity in and between many applications. The
macro prompting my post is intended to automatically copy about 40
values from cells in a worksheet SingleWalk.xlsm into a worksheet
WalkIndex.xlsm, which is the sheet in my question. (There are hundreds
of sheets to be copied into WalkIndex.)

At the moment I have to include user interaction within my macro, asking
for *manual* entry of the current row number.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Garry, I'll try both of those approaches.

I realised after posting that my query might sound a bit strange. I
should have reminded others of the following background.

I write macros with a program called Macro Express Pro, using
hundreds
of them to improve PC productivity in and between many applications.
The
macro prompting my post is intended to automatically copy about 40
values from cells in a worksheet SingleWalk.xlsm into a worksheet
WalkIndex.xlsm, which is the sheet in my question. (There are
hundreds
of sheets to be copied into WalkIndex.)

At the moment I have to include user interaction within my macro,
asking
for *manual* entry of the current row number.

Yes, I recall that you use ME and so did check it out!

Here you'll only get Excel-based solutions so we don't need to know ME
is being used at your end.

I prefer a cleaner (and easily distributable) approach...

store the source data files in 1 folder and use ADODB from my Excel
project file to read all the sought data in without having to open
the source files!

...so others do not require the external dependency (ME) to do the task.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

[...]

I too would far prefer a VBA-only solution, but my skills are not up to
it!

Expanding on my earlier description:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...el-Copy-02.jpg

I've written and tested the macro for the first two of the 40 cells, but
it's clear that it's a tedious exercise, And I expect quite slow to run,
even on one worksheet X.

Could you amplify on "...use ADODB from my Excel project file" please?
Is this something I can look at somewhere?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could you amplify on "...use ADODB from my Excel project file"
please?
Is this something I can look at somewhere?

Have a look at these examples...

http://www.appspro.com/conference/Da...rogramming.zip

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

Could you amplify on "...use ADODB from my Excel project file"
please?
Is this something I can look at somewhere?

Have a look at these examples...

http://www.appspro.com/conference/Da...rogramming.zip

Presumably after reading 'DatabaseProgramming.doc', which I assume is
what you intended to be the 'explanatory introduction'?

Too heavy for me thanks.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

Could you amplify on "...use ADODB from my Excel project file"
please?
Is this something I can look at somewhere?

Have a look at these examples...

http://www.appspro.com/conference/Da...rogramming.zip

Presumably after reading 'DatabaseProgramming.doc', which I assume is
what you intended to be the 'explanatory introduction'?

Too heavy for me thanks.

Well.., given the number of years I've seen you posting I thought it
would give you a good 'kick-start' since it's a very basic intro to
using ADODB. It certainly would be orders of magnitude faster
processing of all the files, not to mention much more flexible in terms
of stepping through any random set of filenames!