Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA project does not close when workbook is closed

I have a large project that uses VBA to open and close files. The project
is password protected. I recently ran into a problem whereby a password
prompt appears when Excel is closed and any VBA projects remain open after
the corresponding workbooks have been closed.

This error was apparently caused by omitting statements in the style of 'Set
objectName to Nothing' before closing the workbook (a solution documented in
other forums). This has now been corrected. The password prompts no longer
appear and workbooks are closed by the code without any problem.

However, the issue I now have is that VBA projects now remain open for *any*
spreadsheet that is manually opened and closed (regardless of whether it has
any code in it). Re-opening the same file causes a second instance of the
same project to appear. They remain open until Excel is shut down.

I have tried cleaning my code, re-installed Excel and reset various Registry
parameters but have been unable to find a fix. I have found several
references to other people seeing the same symptoms, but no solutions
(beyond the 'set to nothing' fix I have already implemented). My suspicion
is that there may be some sort of hangover issue in the registry or with
DLLs, since all workbooks are affected.

I am using Excel 2002 with SP3 (although identical symptoms have been noted
on a colleague's machine which runs Excel 2003).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated (this is my first posting to
this forum).

Simon
London

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you gotten any response on this issue or found a fix?

I am having the same problems.
-Using VB.NET I create one instance of Excel.
-Open a workbook from VB code.
-Close the workbook from VB code.
-Open a workbook from VB code.
-Then view the VBA editor and the VBAproject from the first workbook is
still open.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Jay

--
jboden
jboden's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24194

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I know this is an old thread, but I have had the same issue crop up whether I open and close files manually or programmatically.

I did not have Google Desktop installed, but after tons of searches and much deep thinking :-), found another culprit that might assist others with this issue. Namely:add-ins. I had the Adobe PDF Maker add-in enabled. Adobe has gotten quite invasive recently with new versions coming out seemingly daily.
It even rebooted my box overnight once, so I don't see it installing an add-in by itself as out of the realm of possibility.

Anyway, I disabled that add-in and the isse went away.

Just an FYI.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I know this is an old thread, but I have had the same issue crop up
whether I open and close files manually or programmatically.

I did not have Google Desktop installed, but after tons of searches
and much deep thinking :-), found another culprit that might assist
others with this issue. Namely:add-ins. I had the Adobe PDF Maker
add-in enabled. Adobe has gotten quite invasive recently with new
versions coming out seemingly daily. It even rebooted my box
overnight once, so I don't see it installing an add-in by itself as
out of the realm of possibility.

Anyway, I disabled that add-in and the isse went away.

Just an FYI.

Adobe PDFMaker is a COMAddin and should have no effect on any open
files, normally. I don't use it because I have Acrobat and so use its
printer for creating PDFs. However, enabling the COMAddin doesn't raise
the issue cited here. (Using xl2010)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Garry,

Some particular COMAddins do sometimes appear to be responsible for VBA
projects apparently remaining open in project-explorer even after the
workbook had closed. This could occur even if the suspect COMAddin had no
obvious connection to said project.

It's always been a mystery as it can be intermittent and hard to pin down,
ie sometimes if not normally the suspect COMAddin doesn't cause any closed
workbook to leave its project (sort of) still open. Over the years certain
COMAddins (and various other things like the Google desktop) have been
identified as being more likely responsible than others.

From memory this even occurred in XL97 which didn't support COMAddins,
though possibly some addin referenced to some ActiveX dll might have been
related, only a guess. Search this group for phantom and/or ghost projects,
you might see my name in some very old posts!

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
[...]

From memory this even occurred in XL97 which didn't support
COMAddins, though possibly some addin referenced to some ActiveX dll
might have been related, only a guess. Search this group for phantom
and/or ghost projects, you might see my name in some very old posts!

Regards,
Peter T

Thanks, Peter! As usual.., most helpful.