Disappearing Tool and menu bars

Old February 8th 06, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Disappearing Tool and menu bars

Upon copying a picture into excel, botht he tool and menu bars disappear. I
tried accessing them through hot keys but could not. Any idea what might
cause this?

--
*********************
J Streger

Old February 8th 06, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I Just figured out that Virtual Desktop manager seems to be the cause, as
when I flip desktops any Excel programs open lose the task/menu bars. this
doesn't affect other MS Office products. Anyone else ever come accross this
problem and have a solution?

--
*********************
J Streger

Old March 2nd 06, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I found another thread abotu this by searching the term "virtual desktop"
in the Excel newsgroup, dated 3/29/05.

It appears others have noticed this problem (as have I) and there appears to
be no known fix. There is a workaround - minimize, switch, switch back,
de-minimize. Haven't tried it yet, but see the other thread I mention.

Incidentally they say that other Virt Desktop managers are preferable... I
tried the nVidia one that came with my gfx card, found that it was in some
ways preferable but in other ways not. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't
support it, and I would rather standardize for the benefit of minimizing my
required level of effort in adjusting from computer to computer. Therefore
I'm not using the nVidia one. I may try one of these aftermarket ones...

Jacob

Old March 8th 06, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also encontered this problem & found the following workaround (Excel 2003).
You need to re-read your toolbar file. Since you can't access any menus to
do this, create a macro to do it with a hot-key. My toolbar file is:
C:\Documents and Settings\SarahK\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb

Detailed instructions:
Tools->Macro->Record New Macro
In the dialog box:
under "store macro in" choose "Personal Macro Workbook"
under "Short-cut Key" enter a key of your choosing (say "m" for Menus)
Click "OK"
Record the macro:
File->Open
in the open dialog for "Files of type:" choose "Toolbars (*.xlb)"
open your toolbars file
Click the "Stop Recording" button on the Macro Recorder
When you exit Excel, be sure to save your Personal Macro workbook (hidden)
when asked

Now whenever you lose your toolbars and menu bar, simply hit your hotkey
(say Ctrl-M)

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb