Using advanced filter to search for criteria in a list

Old June 7th 05, 06:05 PM
Potatosalad2

Default Using advanced filter to search for criteria in a list

6/6/2005 12:30 DBAB Media VIA.B
6/6/2005 14:00 DBAB Media SFA YBTVA
6/6/2005 14:30 DBAB Media CMCSA CMCSK HHS
6/6/2005 15:00 DBAB Media ADVO PIXR SGA
6/6/2005 15:30 DBAB Media VCI WON

I am trying to use advanced filter to search for a specific group of
stocks (eg. I1:I100) in columns D-F and return only the stocks on my
list. eg. PIXR is on my list so the filter would return:

6/6/2005 15:00 DBAB Media PIXR

I am having problems getting the criterion correct. Can this be done
with advanced filter or is there an easier way?

--
Potatosalad2
Potatosalad2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20834

Old June 8th 05, 03:08 AM
Debra Dalgleish

You can use an Advanced Filter to return any row that contains PIXR, but
not just the column that contains PIXR. So, the result of your filter
would be:

6/6/2005 15:00 DBAB Media ADVO PIXR SGA

In the criteria area, leave the heading cell empty.
In the cell below, enter a formula that will check the stock columns, e.g:

=COUNTIF(E2:G2,$N$2)>0

where cell N2 contains the stock that you want to find.

Potatosalad2 wrote:
> 6/6/2005 12:30 DBAB Media VIA.B
> 6/6/2005 14:00 DBAB Media SFA YBTVA
> 6/6/2005 14:30 DBAB Media CMCSA CMCSK HHS
> 6/6/2005 15:00 DBAB Media ADVO PIXR SGA
> 6/6/2005 15:30 DBAB Media VCI WON
>
> I am trying to use advanced filter to search for a specific group of
> stocks (eg. I1:I100) in columns D-F and return only the stocks on my
> list. eg. PIXR is on my list so the filter would return:
>
> 6/6/2005 15:00 DBAB Media PIXR
>
> I am having problems getting the criterion correct. Can this be done
> with advanced filter or is there an easier way?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html