How do I sum up random cells

Old April 25th 08, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I sum up random cells

Josh

Another approach would be to click on all the cells you want to sum
and assign those discontiguous cells a name (insert names define) like
"sumcells". Then your formula could be simple, =sum(sumcells).

Implementation of this approach could possibly be simplified if the
cells to be summed have a common feature that would allow you to
select them all at once using goto special. For example if you are
summing all the cells that contain formulas in a range and only those,
you would highlight the range, use GoTo (F5) Special then formulas.
The cells would all be selected, you then insert your range name. The
simple formla =sum(sumcells) would work.

Good luck.

Ken
Norfolk, Va

Old April 26th 08, 03:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW

I like it Spiky, I don't know why I never thought of that before. Derhh!!

Regards
Martin

Old April 26th 08, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW

Hi Gord,

Thanks for the tip. I did a trial on 200 numbers and it
worked like a charm. That's as far as my patience
will try for.

Actually I think the 30 Limit is more than enough.
Personally, If I found I needed more, I would be
looking at redesigning my spreadsheet so that my
data was in a more usable format.

It does raise another question, If one limitation
can be broken like this then what about the others?

I tried a few different options for nesting more
than 7 levels in an IF formula, without any success.
I don't hold out much hope for this one but I will
do a bit more fooling around.<g>

Regards
Martin

Old April 26th 08, 12:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lori

Martin - the brackets just mean it is a multiple selection. Use the INDEX
function to pick out a particular range e.g. =INDEX((A1,B2,C3),,,2).

Multiple ranges can be used inside most summary functions as well as a few
others. The number of areas allowed in functions appears to be 32768 before
running out of memory - although the maximum number of areas you can select
on a sheet is limited to 8192. So in practice the formula length limit will
easily come first.

Old April 27th 08, 03:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW

Thanks Lori, that makes more sense now.

It seems to be a bit lower in my XL2000.
The maximum number of selected ranges is only 2048.

Regards
Martin

Old April 27th 08, 02:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Josh W

Hi Bob,
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with writing macro's. Can you refer me to a
good link for learning this?
Thanks.

Old April 27th 08, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Josh W

Thanks Martin, but I didn't intend typing out the formula...that would take
me a week. Your idea is good but I can also click on the + key.

Old April 27th 08, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Josh W

That was a great reply, basically what I was looking for. You made my day.

Old April 27th 08, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Josh W

I will have to work a little on those functions. The background colour tip is
a great one! Thanks

Old February 26th 10, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jag

Hello Martin,
What if one of the cells in the range has a value of #N/A? How can your
suggestion be modified so the sum() is not broken?
Thanks,
Joe