Random selection of text cells

Old September 9th 06, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CJ

Default Random selection of text cells

Hey,
I have a list in colum A of 300, three letter codes eg BHP.
I want to generate a list of 50 random codes generated from the original 300.
If someone coudl show me a step by step process of which formulas to put
where it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old September 9th 06, 03:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

The easiest way to do this:

Assume your codes are in the range A1:A300.

Enter this formula in B1 and copy down to B300:

=RAND()

Now, select the range A1:B300 and do a sort on column B (either ascending or
descending, it doesn't matter)

Use A1:A50 as your 50 random selections.

If you want another 50, just repeat the sort.

Biff

Old September 10th 06, 06:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CJ

Cheers Biff. That's so easy thanks!!!
Old September 10th 06, 07:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

You're welcome!

Biff