Cursor cell selection "won't release"

Old November 22nd 09, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nitewowl

Default Cursor cell selection "won't release"

This is happening within an open spreadsheet. Somehow I have accidentally
hit something or some combination of keys that makes the cursor "stuck" in
selection mode. I've tried escape, enter, and a variety of combinations like
control scroll and it just won't stop. I have had this happen before though
can't remember how we got it to stop. I will print out the answer if someone
is able to tell me the trick and it works. It is a very frustrating
situation because even if you contol-alt-delete and end the program, when you
restart Excel and open the spreadsheet, it is in the same status.

I appreciate all help. Thank you.
Old November 22nd 09, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand but try tapping F8

Mike

Old November 22nd 09, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

It is not entirely clear to me what you mean with "cursor stuck", but try
function key F8

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

news

Old November 22nd 09, 03:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're using xl2007, try changing the zoom (bottom right corner).

Back to 100% (???).

Old November 22nd 09, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nitewowl

It seems that a complete reboot has solved the situation. I've printed this
quick discussion though to try the F8 approach next time it happens. Thank
you both.

Old November 23rd 09, 01:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Hutchins

Another possibility is that you accidentally activated StickyKeys mode, which
causes the effect you described. Pressing the Shift key 5 times within a few
seconds toggles StickyKeys on/off.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

Old March 15th 17, 09:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Monday, November 23, 2009 at 5:03:01 AM UTC+4, Tom Hutchins wrote:
> Another possibility is that you accidentally activated StickyKeys mode, which
> causes the effect you described. Pressing the Shift key 5 times within a few
> seconds toggles StickyKeys on/off.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Hutch
>
> "nitewowl" wrote:
>
> > This is happening within an open spreadsheet. Somehow I have accidentally
> > hit something or some combination of keys that makes the cursor "stuck" in
> > selection mode. I've tried escape, enter, and a variety of combinations like
> > control scroll and it just won't stop. I have had this happen before though
> > can't remember how we got it to stop. I will print out the answer if someone
> > is able to tell me the trick and it works. It is a very frustrating
> > situation because even if you contol-alt-delete and end the program, when you
> > restart Excel and open the spreadsheet, it is in the same status.
> >
> > I appreciate all help. Thank you.

A lot of thanks TOM, one of the big problems is solved...otherwise always had to restart....