How to handle Brackets [ ]

Old March 1st 17, 07:02 PM
Milo Bloom Milo Bloom is offline
Junior Member

Default How to handle Brackets [ ]

I have a formula I want to put into Excel and I tried using () instead of brackets and I do not get the correct answer, Below is the equation.

100/[(100-165.03)/113.78]+113.78*62.4 The answer should be 132.78

Any help would be helpful

Thanks in Advance.
Old March 4th 17, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell[_4_]

Milo Bloom > wrote:

>I have a formula I want to put into Excel and I tried using () instead
>of brackets and I do not get the correct answer, Below is the equation.
>
>100/[(100-165.03)/113.78]+113.78*62.4 The answer should be 132.78
>
>Any help would be helpful
>
>Thanks in Advance.

Milo,

As far as I can tell, your intended expression looks like this:
1. (100-165.03) = -65.03
2. -65.03/113.78 = -0.5715
3. 100/-0.5715 = -174.98
4. 113.78*62.4 - 7099.9

So it would give the result
5. -174.98 + 7099.9 = 6924.9

Could you break it up into parts again, if necessary with generous
spacing, and using square brackets where that helps clarify the meaning.
By then you may have answered your own question! Replacing the square
brackets with normal bracket in Excel, hopefully you should then get the
result you expect!

If not, come back so that we can take another look.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old March 13th 17, 10:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Pinnell[_4_]

Terry Pinnell > wrote:

>Milo Bloom > wrote:
>

>>I have a formula I want to put into Excel and I tried using () instead
>>of brackets and I do not get the correct answer, Below is the equation.
>>
>>100/[(100-165.03)/113.78]+113.78*62.4 The answer should be 132.78
>>
>>Any help would be helpful
>>
>>Thanks in Advance.

>Milo,
>
>As far as I can tell, your intended expression looks like this:
>1. (100-165.03) = -65.03
>2. -65.03/113.78 = -0.5715
>3. 100/-0.5715 = -174.98
>4. 113.78*62.4 - 7099.9
>
>So it would give the result
>5. -174.98 + 7099.9 = 6924.9
>
>Could you break it up into parts again, if necessary with generous
>spacing, and using square brackets where that helps clarify the meaning.
>By then you may have answered your own question! Replacing the square
>brackets with normal bracket in Excel, hopefully you should then get the
>result you expect!
>
>If not, come back so that we can take another look.
>

>Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Curious to know if you resolved your problem after my reply 9 days ago?
Your 'thanks in advance' was welcome, but feedback is always
appreciated.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK