bar code scanning w/spaces

Old February 2nd 17, 06:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default bar code scanning w/spaces

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, played with it - gave up for a while, but now I need to figure this out.

In Excel 2007 using a Font called 3 of 9 Barcode, we have for years been using this successfully for part numbers or employee numbers which have only ever had single string of characters, i.e. ="*"&B5&"*". My problem is with our location labels. They have 3 levels of characters, i.e., WHSE B01 A05..

On our RF guns, we can type in by hand the location code we want (WHSE B01 A05) and our old Zebra 105SL printer prints the labels, no problem. The bar code which is printed by the Zebra, does not have any gaps (which I can tell) in the RF label, and the guns have no problems reading it.

I have tried various methods of separating the various components into separate cells, i.e., WHSE in E2, B01 into F2, A05 into G2 and then concatenating them back together but, our RF Guns won't read it.

But since we have 168 to do, I was hoping someone may have solved this in the past.
Old February 2nd 17, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GS[_6_]

> I've been trying to figure this out for a while, played with it -
> gave up for a while, but now I need to figure this out.
>
> In Excel 2007 using a Font called 3 of 9 Barcode, we have for years
> been using this successfully for part numbers or employee numbers
> which have only ever had single string of characters, i.e.
> ="*"&B5&"*". My problem is with our location labels. They have 3
> levels of characters, i.e., WHSE B01 A05.
>
> On our RF guns, we can type in by hand the location code we want
> (WHSE B01 A05) and our old Zebra 105SL printer prints the labels, no
> problem. The bar code which is printed by the Zebra, does not have
> any gaps (which I can tell) in the RF label, and the guns have no
> problems reading it.
>
> I have tried various methods of separating the various components
> into separate cells, i.e., WHSE in E2, B01 into F2, A05 into G2 and
> then concatenating them back together but, our RF Guns won't read it.
>
> But since we have 168 to do, I was hoping someone may have solved
> this in the past.

I thought the barcode software should convert spaces in the source text
to be included in the barcodes they generate; -the readers then can
rcognize the original source text 'as scanned'!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc