Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] rodog311@gmail.com is offline

Default Pivot ungrouping on refresh?

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 7:37:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Il giorno mercoledì 24 marzo 2010 10:58:06 UTC+1, Me! ha scritto:
Hi,

I have a pivot table where the ROW field is a date that is grouped by month
& year.

However, when I change the data source to include additional rows that I
have added to the underlying data & refresh the pivot, the grouping is
ungrouped, so my aggregagation by month becomes aggregation by date.

this is a huge problem as it adds hundreds of rows to my pivot table which
then runs over another pivot table.

Does anyone know how I can retain the row grouping on updating the data
source & refreshing.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason!

how did u manage to fix it? I do have the same problem (excel 2013) but I cannot get the solution from Roger. I cannot insert a table if a pivot is already existing! Am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance.

Andrea

I know this is old but I just fixed this issue. The reason the Date fields ungroup is because the new data contains invalid dates. Insert a =ISTEXT function in an unused column to see which dates need to be re-entered. Once the dates are true date format, refresh and grouping should be allowed again.