Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tb tb is offline

Default Formula That Checks For Changes

On 11/27/2016 at 1:58:43 AM Claus Busch wrote:

Hi,

Am Sat, 26 Nov 2016 21:15:18 -0000 (UTC) schrieb tb:

I have a spreadsheet with the following columns:
* Col. A: Part numbers
* Cols. B, C, and D: Current data that pertains to part numbers in
col. A
* Cols. E, F, and G: Proposed new data that pertains to said part
numbers. Such data is obtained by formulas linked to other
spreadsheets.

What I would like to do is have a formula in col. H that inserts an
"X" if any data in cols. B-D is different than that in cols. E-G.
If none of the data is different, then it should insert a blank
("").

in H1 try:
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(G1&H1&I1,$B$1:$B$200&$C$1:$C$200 &$D$1:$D$200,0)=ROW(
)),"x","") and insert the formula with CTRL+Shift+Enter

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks, Claus.

A confession... I did not give all the details involved in this issue
becasue I thought that it would not make much of a difference. I was
wrong.

In the real spreadsheet, there are many more columns beside B, C, and D
(and the corresponding E, F, and G).

Is there any way to optimize your formula based on this new piece of
information? Including every column used in the MATCH function will
take me forever and create a very long formula.

Thanks.
--
tb