Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joel[_877_] joel[_877_] is offline

Default IP address to Hostname in Excel

what I did recently in C# was to ping the IP addrress which filled up
the ARP table. Then went into the ARP table to get the Host Names. It
is posible to do the same thing uisng VBA but will have to think about
the process.

I aslo can open an Excel file from C#. so I could write a C# program
which opens your excel file get the IP address, ping the addresses, and
then read the arp table.

Likewise, from VBA I could use the Shell command to ping each of the IP
addresses then read the arp table. To read the ARP table I would use a
DLL in the system32 folder to get the results. there also may be a
reference library that would read the arp table but would need to
investigate some more.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229