Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vennesse vennesse is offline

Default Linking 2 spreadsheet using data from the last row of spreadsh

Hi I have a similar task to Mike's and using MS Excel 2003. I have 2
spreadsheet, spreadsheet 1 is updated daily
with NEW DATA NEXT TO THE EXISTING rows OF INFO.
Spreadsheet 2 needs to READ/extract data from ONLY THE ADDITIONAL DATA from
spreadsheet 1. How do I link spreadsheet 2 to spreadsheet 1
so that it will always get the data from spreadsheet 1 automatically?

VENNESSE

"Max" wrote:

.. However, as I add a new entry row in sheet 1,
sheet 2 cannot get the changes automatically

It should work ok, as long as new data entry always gets incrementally added
in the key Sheet1's col A (as per the header assumption in the earlier
response). If you omit concurrent data entry in the key col A and only update
other cols, then of course it doesn't work. You need to establish a key col
which always gets updated irrespective, for new row entries. If it isn't col
A but its say, col C instead, adapt the expression accordingly, ie use this
in Sheet2's A2:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$100<""),Sheet1!A2:A100)
and copy it across.

Try it again, it should work ok for you,
as it did for me, and for Ron, too (thanks for the support, Ron!).
--
Max
Singapore
"Mike" wrote:
Hi Max,

Thanks for your syntax. It work, as it returned the data from the last row
from spreadsheet 1. However, as I add a new entry row in sheet 1, sheet 2
cannot get the changes automatically. I have to repeat the whole process
again and each time I do that, it keep asking me to specify the source data.

Regards,
Mike