Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] rdheard3m@gmail.com is offline

Default Problems with Match function

I have used the match function many times for various reasons, but have recently encountered a problem that I cannot get passed. I have a list of values that contains the following values (wire sizes):

14
12
10
8
6
4
3
2
1
1/0
2/0
3/0
4/0
250
300
350
400
500
600
750
1000

When I first enter the function in one cell and another cell that contains the search value, it works perfect. However, one I change the search value to one containing "/" or that is on the "other side" of the "/" the function returns "#N/A" every time unless I enter one of the "/" values. To clarify, if I start with any of the values 14-1, it works as long as I stay at the top of the list. As soon as I enter anything from 250-1000, it goes to "#N/A". After that, the only time it finds anything is if my search value is 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, or 4/0. I have tried forcing to text format (both the list and the search value) and that doesn't help. Has anyone else seen this or have a suggestion to address this issue?