Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Invalid Names

I've tried deleting links via the Links Dialogue and the Defined Names
windows and I 've tried using code to delete the names. But my code returns
an error message stating "That name is not valid". It is referring to a
defined name such as
"
"

or "+"

Anyone have thoughts on how to delete these invalid/bogus names?

Thanks for any input.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Unfortunately those names indicate a corrupted workbook.
If you have a recent backup without those corrupt names I would go back
to it.

Otherwise you could try saving as HTML format and editing the HTML to
turn the corrupted names into alphabetic characters and then re-opening
and saving as XLS. Be sure to keep a backup copy; you will lose some
features in round-tripping to HTML, depending on which version of Excel
you have [it always helps if you tell us]

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Try changing

Tools|Options|General tab
check R1C1 reference style

Then close the dialog and change it back to A1 reference style (once more).

When you change to R1C1 (or back to A1) reference style, you'll be prompted to
change the name of that illegal name. (I don't recall which does the work.)

You may want to get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

He has this ability as one of the features, if I recall correctly.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I did do it manually... but then I thought I should get the utility. It
worked even better. My whole spreadsheet is all clean now.

Now if I can just get the corporate guys to use this fixed spreadsheet. ;-)

Again... thanks for all the help.