Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Martha

Default Formula Link References Change to Startup Directory

Haven't been able to find info on this problem anywhere. Formulas in my
spreadsheets that link to other spreadsheets are, unbidden, changing to
reference the startup directory (c:\Documents and
Settings\username\Application Data\ Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART) INSTEAD of
the shared network drive where the files ACTUALLY reside. The startup
directory path is being substituted in for the portion of the network
path that the source and linked files have in common.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm using MS Windows XP
Professional and Excel 2003 (11.6560.6568) SP2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Martha

I see now that several posters have had this problem of links changing
unbidden to a startup directory. This might be related to autorecover
too, as that "points" to the startup directory.

If you have learned what causes this, PLEASE help! Our files have tons
of links and we can't be updating them every time the workbooks are
opened on a different computer (which is when this seems to happen).
Like another user reported on this forum, we had this problem not long
after an upgrade to Office 2003.

Martha wrote:
Haven't been able to find info on this problem anywhere. Formulas in my
spreadsheets that link to other spreadsheets are, unbidden, changing to
reference the startup directory (c:\Documents and
Settings\username\Application Data\ Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART) INSTEAD of
the shared network drive where the files ACTUALLY reside. The startup
directory path is being substituted in for the portion of the network
path that the source and linked files have in common.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I'm using MS Windows XP
Professional and Excel 2003 (11.6560.6568) SP2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

If you have specified a network drive as your alternate startup
directory, stop doing so and you may find that the problem stops
happening.

This is the setting in:
Tools / Options / General / "At startup, open all files in"

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Thnk you Bill for your reply, unfortunately this is not the problem as
no alternate drive is specified. Sometimes I think it may have to do
with autorecover (which also points to the startup directory I
indicated)... but I have no proof of this. I have tried disabling
autorecover but it doesn't seem to help. Any other ideas please send
them along; it's a very frustrating problem.
Cheers,
Martha