Bill Martin

Default How many pages?

How many sheets can one put into an Excel workbook? I've found the limits on
rows and columns within a sheet, but the only thing I've found about sheets
is a vague indication it will hold "hundreds". Is there an actual limit, or
does it simply become a performance issue?

I'm trying to decide whether to organize a bunch of data for analysis with
one sheet of data per event, or to use a separate file for each event.
Currently I only have a dozen or so events, but they will continue to add up
and I'd rather do this correctly the first time.

My inclination is to just add a new sheet for each event, but don't want to
have to recode everything if Excel hits a hard limit at 256 sheets or some
such.

Thanks...

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)
Gord Dibben

Bill

From Help answer wizard "specifications"

Sheets in a workbook Limited by available memory (default is 3 sheets)

For more on performance issues with large books see Charles Williams' site

http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedb.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:33:51 -0500, Bill Martin
wrote:

How many sheets can one put into an Excel workbook? I've found the limits on
rows and columns within a sheet, but the only thing I've found about sheets
is a vague indication it will hold "hundreds". Is there an actual limit, or
does it simply become a performance issue?

I'm trying to decide whether to organize a bunch of data for analysis with
one sheet of data per event, or to use a separate file for each event.
Currently I only have a dozen or so events, but they will continue to add up
and I'd rather do this correctly the first time.

My inclination is to just add a new sheet for each event, but don't want to
have to recode everything if Excel hits a hard limit at 256 sheets or some
such.

Thanks...

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

Bill Martin

Sheet limit is memory driven only so that's why your answer is vague.
One sheet or even a line for each on only one sheet or a pivot table?

Each of my events generates a matrix of data about 130 rows by 15 columns. I
may have several hundred to a thousand events accumulated eventually. My
current computer has 768K of RAM, but I can expand it if that becomes an
issue.

I guess I need to figure out some automated way to take one of my event pages
and replicate it out to 500 pages or so with random variations added and see
how the thing runs in that size.

Thanks.

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)
Bill Martin

For more on performance issues with large books see Charles Williams' site

http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedb.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Thanks Gord. I'll spend some time trolling through that site. It looks
interesting.

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)