Jeff

Default format question when open csv file

I receive a csv file that I open in excel. The first field in this file is a
nine alphanumeric character. When I open the file excel formats that field
in how it sees fit. Example 1157687E6 would display in scientific notation.
I make a quick update to the file and resave as .csv file. The csv file
resaves that field as the scientific notation, so the people I pass this file
to have problems with it. Is there a way to open a csv file in excel where
excel does not reformat the field or give me an option to not reformat.
Jim Rech

Is there a way to open a csv file in excel where excel does not reformat
the field or give me an option to not reformat.

If you change the file's extension to something other than CSV, say TXT,
Excel will open the Import Text Wizard when you open the file and you can
then set Excel to import the first field as Text.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP