Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
homectrs

Default Linked workbook data suddenly not found

Using Excel 97, Win 98/2000/XP. We have a number of linked workbooks that
reside on a win 2K server. To the best of my knowledge, they seemed to work
fine until Monday. Now suddenly, everytime one of the calling workbooks is
opened and links updated, we get the File Not Found boxes. I have set the
Default Path to the server location (\\dp\dp_c\hhcfiles), but the linking
process seems to ignore it. I have also tried setting the Alternete path to
the same server location to no avail. The cell formula contains the
following: ='C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\XLSTART\...... and
then has the folder and filename where the source data resides. When I do a
query of application.startuppath in VBE, I get C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT
OFFICE\OFFICE\XLSTART, however a query of application.altstartuppath returns
\\DP\DP_C\HHCFILES, which is what I would expect as that is how I set it. I
am baffled.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Bill Manville

The default path will not affect where existing links point
The alternate startup path will not affect where existing links point,
and will have the effect that any files in that directory will be
opened automatically when you start Excel - not, I suspect, what you
want.

Just go into Edit / Links and change the source of the incorrect links
back to where it should be.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
homectrs

Hey Bill - Thanks for the heads up on the startup paths and the links point.
Certainly some confusion there as I always thought they had some bearing.
Plus, I could swear that the way the sheets were set up worked in the past,
but I could be wrong. Anyway, went in, changed links sources back to server
as they were and all is well.

Thanks!