skeliher

Default Can I import a windows explorer list of files into an Excel sprea.

I was wondering if it is possible to import the list of files within a
particular folder that one sees when using Windows Explorer, into an Excel
spreadsheet? I am using WinXP and Office2003.
Don Guillett

modify to suit
Sub GetFileList()
Dim iCtr As Integer

With Application.FileSearch
.NewSearch
.LookIn = "c:\aa"
.SearchSubFolders = True
.Filename = ".xls"
If .Execute 0 Then
For iCtr = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
Cells(iCtr, 1).Value = .FoundFiles(iCtr)
Next iCtr
End If
End With

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"skeliher" wrote in message
I was wondering if it is possible to import the list of files within a
particular folder that one sees when using Windows Explorer, into an Excel
spreadsheet? I am using WinXP and Office2003.

Gord Dibben

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.

OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type DIR MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in. This allows filtering and
sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-insDirectory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

As to the second part of mission........the updating part......I think you
would just have to re-import all filenames again from the folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP