Ken G.

Default Read Only attribute disappears

I've saved a sheet in Excel 2002 with a read-only attribute to prevent users
over-writing the template with customer data, but when I e-mail the sheet to
a user, it arrives without the read-only attribute activated.

What do I need to do to make sure it stays read-only.

Thanks,
Dave Peterson

I don't think you have any control over this (readonly via windows explorer,
right?)

But you could save it with a password to modify.

File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options (xl2002+ wording)
File|SaveAs|Options (in earlier versions)

Give it a password in the Modify box.

This will travel with the workbook. The recipients will be able to open and
change--but not save as the existing name.

When I saved the file in xl2002 (opened in readonly mode), the password wasn't
kept for the newly saved workbook.

(Just a warning--don't use this technique with MSWord. The newly saved document
inherits the same modify password--unless the user removes it.)

========
And another alternative. Save your file as a template (*.xlt). Send that. If
they open it by double clicking on it in windows explorer (or via File|new),
then your file is safe.

But a simple file|open will still be trouble.

--

Dave Peterson