Christopher Anderson

Default Importing text files into Excel

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to bring large text files into
Excel. The data in the text files is separated by spaces. The spaces that
separate the data vary in number. I have tried to replace the spaces with
tabs while in Notepad but it takes too long. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Chris
tjtjjtjt

Open Excel and create a blank workbook.
Then:
Data | Get External Data | Import Data (this command might be something
like Import Text File, if you are using an older version of Excel).
Browse to find your file and click to Import it. Should open up the Text
Import Wizard.
Make sure that DeLimited is chosen and Click Next.
On this screen, choose Space as your Delimiter. Click through the Wizard
choosing any other options you need.

If your file has more rows than 65,536 or more columns than 256, your data
will not Import completely.

Hope this helps,
tj

"Christopher Anderson" wrote:

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to bring large text files into
Excel. The data in the text files is separated by spaces. The spaces that
separate the data vary in number. I have tried to replace the spaces with
tabs while in Notepad but it takes too long. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

Earl Kiosterud

Chris,

If using delimited in the Text Import Wizard doesn't work with your text
file (it depends on how it's laid out), you may be able to use "fixed." The
ways of reading a text file into a worksheet vary with the release of Excel.
Check out www.smokeylake.com/excel and read "Excel and text files." There's
a section toward the bottom that deals with reading text files.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"Christopher Anderson" wrote
in message ...