Charlie

Default Excel

When copying a Excel 2003 file to a computer with Windows 95, Excel version 7
and then opening the file, I get a dialog box asking if I want to open as a
read-only file? I don't want to open it as a read-only file and I don't want
to be asked this each time. In File-Open dialog box, the read-only box is not
checked. Is there a way to get around this?
Gord Dibben

Charlie

I would suggest the file be saved as an Excel95 file through 2003 FileSave
AsFile Type.

Then try to open in Excel version 7.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:39:04 -0800, "Charlie"
wrote:

When copying a Excel 2003 file to a computer with Windows 95, Excel version 7
and then opening the file, I get a dialog box asking if I want to open as a
read-only file? I don't want to open it as a read-only file and I don't want
to be asked this each time. In File-Open dialog box, the read-only box is not
checked. Is there a way to get around this?

bigwheel

"Charlie" wrote in message
When copying a Excel 2003 file to a computer with Windows 95, Excel

version 7
and then opening the file, I get a dialog box asking if I want to open as

read-only file? I don't want to open it as a read-only file and I don't

want
to be asked this each time. In File-Open dialog box, the read-only box is

not
checked. Is there a way to get around this?

Are you saving the file as "Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook" or just as a
"Microsoft Excel Workbook" which would obviously be an Excel 2003 file?

Charlie

I did what you said, but I still get the dialog box asking if I want to open
it as a read-only. If I answer No, the file will open OK. I just want to get
rid of the step of answering yes or no. Hope you have more suggestions. Thank
You

wrote:

When copying a Excel 2003 file to a computer with Windows 95, Excel version 7
and then opening the file, I get a dialog box asking if I want to open as a
read-only file? I don't want to open it as a read-only file and I don't want
to be asked this each time. In File-Open dialog box, the read-only box is not
checked. Is there a way to get around this?

Dave Peterson

There's an option that you can set when you do a file|saveas.

File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options (xl2002+ wording)

Any chance this has been set? Although, you would have noticed it on the xl2003
pc, too.

--

Dave Peterson
Charlie

Hi Dave
Thanks for responding. In File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options, there wasn't
anything in the boxes. I even went into the files Preferences to see if it
was marked as read-only, and it wasn't. Very baffling indeed! Any other ideas?

Charlie wrote:

When copying a Excel 2003 file to a computer with Windows 95, Excel version 7
and then opening the file, I get a dialog box asking if I want to open as a
read-only file? I don't want to open it as a read-only file and I don't want
to be asked this each time. In File-Open dialog box, the read-only box is not
checked. Is there a way to get around this?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Not any real suggestions.

Maybe you could save it as a new workbook to see if that helps.

Or even copy all the worksheets to another workbook and save that one. (Be
careful with code, workbook names, and other junk!)

But I got nothin'.