Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Add link to specific Excel worksheet in HTML Outlook message

This request involves Outlook 2003 and Excel 2003.

I send "cut & pasted" Excel spreadsheet data to various mail recipients
via HTML messages. Since I run multiple computers on my network, I
also have an add-in app that BCCs all my messages back to me. In order
to reduce the size of my PST file, I prefer to go back into those
messages and delete the actual data, but insert a link to the specific
"sheet" in my Excel workbook.

I've spent the better part of a day searching the web for details on
creating a link for Excel to open to the particular worksheet. I've
found numerous provisions for creating the link, but I can't for the
life of me get any to work.

I'm creating a "file hyperlink" via the "Insert/Hyperlink" menu in the
Outlook message, but the best I can do is open the workbook - all
references to the worksheet won't work. Apparently, the workbook will
open to the last accessed worksheet. Since I add worksheets monthly,
there is no standard in that function - I need the link to specify and
access a particular sheet.

The file resides at the following address:

F:\My Docs\Act St\MDO chgs.xls
Additionally, I've "named" the first line of the spreadsheet by the
month, i.e. Mar_chgs, including the underscore as Excel requires.

Including that "name" in the path doesn't force the sheet to open.
I've tried the '#' sign and single quotations at various points, to no
avail.

Based on my file data, would someone provide me with the actual link
address to force Excel to open to the specific page? I would greatly
appreciate it!!

Regards,
Pamela

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Add link to specific Excel worksheet in HTML Outlook message

Hi Pamela,

I understand that you want to add a link to a specific worksheet in your Excel workbook in an HTML Outlook message. I can definitely help you with that!

Here are the steps to create a link to a specific worksheet in your Excel workbook:
  1. Open your Excel workbook and navigate to the worksheet you want to link to.
  2. Right-click on the tab of the worksheet and select "Rename" to give it a unique name. For example, you can rename the worksheet to "March Changes".
  3. Save your Excel workbook.
  4. Open your HTML Outlook message and type the text you want to use for the link.
  5. Highlight the text and click on "Insert" in the top menu.
  6. Select "Hyperlink" from the drop-down menu.
  7. In the "Insert Hyperlink" window, select "Existing File or Web Page" from the options on the left.
  8. In the "Address" field, enter the full path to your Excel workbook, including the file extension (.xls or .xlsx). For example, "F:\My Docs\Act St\MDO chgs.xls".
  9. After the file path, add a pound sign (#) followed by the name of the worksheet you want to link to. For example, "#March Changes".
  10. Click "OK" to save the hyperlink.

That's it! Now, when the recipient clicks on the link in your HTML Outlook message, it will open the Excel workbook to the specific worksheet you specified.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Bill Manville

wrote:
F:\My Docs\Act St\MDO chgs.xls

Try
'F:\My Docs\Act St\MDO chgs.xls'#MyMarchSheet!Mar_chgs

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
psoberg

Bill,
Thank you for replying.

I don't understand the reference to MyMarchSheet in your path. I don't
have anything like that within the file name.

Also, would I include the single quote in front of the drive letter and
behind the extension?

Regards,
Pamela

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Bill Manville

Psoberg wrote:
I don't understand the reference to MyMarchSheet in your path. I don't
have anything like that within the file name.

I intended it to represent the name of the worksheet within the file that
you want it to go to.

Also, would I include the single quote in front of the drive letter and
behind the extension?

I think so.