jbhbill

Default When I open a Excel File it is corrupted and needs to be converte.

Help. I have just bought the Student Teacher Edition 2003 and realy need it
to work. I looked up BinHex 4.0 and nothing came up I could used
Dave Peterson

Does this happen with every workbook or just one?

I'm guessing just one.

Saved from a previous post:

Sometimes excel workbooks get corrupted.

One cause is opening them from a floppy and saving to that floppy. (Instead you
should use windows explorer to copy to your harddrive/LAN drive), work on it
from there, save it there and use windows explorer to copy it back to the
floppy.)

Another is opening the workbook in MSWord and saving it as an MSWord document
(with a .xls extension).

If you did the MSWord thing, you maybe able to recover a little bit of your
data by opening it in MSWord and copying and then pasting to excel. (But tons
of stuff may be lost.)

And sometimes the workbooks just get corrupted.

You might be able to recover more by using another program--both xl2002 and
OpenOffice have better reputations for opening files that earlier versions of
excel couldn't.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services. I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

Any chance you have a backup version or emailed a version to someone who could
email it back?

--

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

More details and a better description of your problem would be of assistance.

BinHex 4.0 is a Macintosh format.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP