74

TOTAL
43223
4363
34643
436
57
457

i HAVE A DATA AS SHOWN ABOVE FORMAT. I WANT TO PLOT A CHART WITH THIS DATA
MY
X AXIS SHOULD SHOW QTR-1-1999, QTR-2-1999, QTR3-1999, QTR-4-1999, QTR-1-2000
AN SO ON AND
Y AXIS SHOULD SHOW THE AMOUNT.

IS IT POSSIBLE WITHOUT CHNAGING ANYTHING ON THE DATA SIDE.

THANKS,

SHASHI

Barb Reinhardt

It would be a whole lot easier to graph if you had the data sorted in the
way you want it on the graph. Is there a reason you can't change it?

"Shashi Bhosale" wrote in message

1999
2000
2001
2002
2003
2004

QTR-1
1421
3252
325
23532
457
435

QTR-2
967
4564
8768
5744
2
45

QTR-3
45745
484
457
6554
857
4325

QTR-4
4574
458
45754
45745
457
74

TOTAL
43223
4363
34643
436
57
457

i HAVE A DATA AS SHOWN ABOVE FORMAT. I WANT TO PLOT A CHART WITH THIS DATA
MY
X AXIS SHOULD SHOW QTR-1-1999, QTR-2-1999, QTR3-1999, QTR-4-1999,

QTR-1-2000
AN SO ON AND
Y AXIS SHOULD SHOW THE AMOUNT.

IS IT POSSIBLE WITHOUT CHNAGING ANYTHING ON THE DATA SIDE.

THANKS,

SHASHI

Jon Peltier

And don't tell Barb that the reason you can't change it is that the data needs to
stay in this format. If it needs to stay in this format for one purpose, then put it
into the appropriate format for charting in another worksheet. It might take you two
minutes to rearrange. You could even link to the data in the original worksheet if
it might be prone to changing.

A more flexible arrangement would be to list three columns: Year, Quarter, and
Amount. This format is amenable to pivot table creation. Depending on the desired
result, you could pivot the table one way or the other.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Barb Reinhardt wrote:

[...]

Barb Reinhardt

Jon,

How would you do this with a Pivot Table? I'm not a Pivot Table novice and
I just can't envision how this one would be done.

Thanks,
Barb

Barb Reinhardt wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

The data he posted in the other forum was arranged like this:

Q 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004
QTR-1 421 3252 325 23532 457 435
QTR-2 967 4564 8768 5744 2 45
QTR-3 45745 484 457 6554 857 4325
QTR-4 4574 458 45754 45745 457 74

Make a pivot table with each of the year fields in the data area and the Q field in
the rows area, then drag the Data button above the years in the PT to place it to
the left of the Q field. Here's the result:

Data Q Total
Sum of 1999 QTR-1 421
QTR-2 967
QTR-3 45745
QTR-4 4574
Sum of 2000 QTR-1 3252
QTR-2 4564
QTR-3 484
QTR-4 458
Sum of 2001 QTR-1 325
QTR-2 8768
QTR-3 457
QTR-4 45754
Sum of 2002 QTR-1 23532
QTR-2 5744
QTR-3 6554
QTR-4 45745
Sum of 2003 QTR-1 457
QTR-2 2
QTR-3 857
QTR-4 457
Sum of 2004 QTR-1 435
QTR-2 45
QTR-3 4325
QTR-4 74

Fix up the first column (remove "Sum of" and fill in the missing values) to get the
suggested data source, which can easily produce the table at the top (Year in
Columns area, Quarter in Rows area, Amount in Data area).

- Jon
-------

Barb Reinhardt wrote:

It would be a whole lot easier to graph if you had the data sorted in

the

way you want it on the graph. Is there a reason you can't change it?

.. .