Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Ruth

Default problem with opening hyperlink in excel 2000

I recently upgraded one computer to excel 2003. When a hyperlink is created
in Excel 2003 I can not open it in excel 2000 (on my lap top). As message
comes up saying path or file name may have changed.
--
I.R. Clubbe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
David McRitchie

One possibility nothing to do with hyperlinks.

It is not a good idea to copy your toolbars file (.xlb) between different
versions of Excel, that is one possibility. Check the assigned macros
on your menus and toolbar buttons to see if they are referring to the
wrong location. If that is the problem I would suggest documenting
what you have see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/barhopper.htm
and then you can recreate them, as noted you would have to save
your button images.

Can you give an example of a hyperlink that gets the error message,
and the exact wording of the error message as that is what would
have to be searched on.
---
HTH,

"Ruth" wrote in message ...
I recently upgraded one computer to excel 2003. When a hyperlink is created
in Excel 2003 I can not open it in excel 2000 (on my lap top). As message
comes up saying epath or file name may have changed.
--
I.R. Clubbe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Ruth

Hi David
Thanks for your reply. Originally the folder with hyperlinks was created in
excel 2000 it worked on the network between two computers. when one computer
broke down I copied the folder onto excel 2003. I can open the hyperlinks
until I get to the final one then I get the following message. 'PZ
Thursday.xls' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and
verify that the file location is correct. If I repeat the Hyperlink on my
second computer in excel 2000 I can then open it and the details on the open
file is as was entered on the excel 2003. Hope you can help thanks. Ruth

--
I.R. Clubbe

"Ruth" wrote in message ...
I recently upgraded one computer to excel 2003. When a hyperlink is created
in Excel 2003 I can not open it in excel 2000 (on my lap top). As message
comes up saying epath or file name may have changed.
--
I.R. Clubbe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
David McRitchie

Hi Ruth,
Do the other hyperlinked files also not have a pathname, and is it in the
same directory as the other hyperlinked files.

There could be a hyperlink base in the
file, properties, summary
You could be opening all files in these directorites at startup
XLSTART directory (below the directory excel.exe is in)(
alternate startup directory in tools, options, General
I presume Excel will look in your default location (for saving files)
check if that is same on machines tools, options, General

---
HTH,

"Ruth" wrote in message ...
I recently upgraded one computer to excel 2003. When a hyperlink is created
in Excel 2003 I can not open it in excel 2000 (on my lap top). As message
comes up saying epath or file name may have changed.
--
I.R. Clubbe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Ruth

Hi Again
I can open 4 sub files when I go to open the 5th there is a differnece in
file name in 2003 file name starts with file:/// in 2000 file name starts \\.
Does this help you at all ??
--
I.R. Clubbe

"Ruth" wrote in message ...
I recently upgraded one computer to excel 2003. When a hyperlink is created
in Excel 2003 I can not open it in excel 2000 (on my lap top). As message
comes up saying epath or file name may have changed.
--
I.R. Clubbe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
David McRitchie

So what did you see when you checked each for:

There could be a hyperlink base in the
file, properties, summary

Anyway that type of file reference is usually used on a network,
so I expect you can contact your network administrator for more
information if you can't fix it yourself.

---
HTH,