Misha

Default Shortcut keys for the disables

Is there an alternative to Control and Select to select multiple ranges in
Excel? My friend has the use of only her right hand, after a stroke, and is
finding it very hard to use this feature.
Thanks
Gord Dibben

Misha

If she can reach the SHIFT and F8 keys(I can) she can place Excel into "Add"
mode.

Selection of non-contiguous cells and ranges is then possible using the mouse.

Just F8 twice to get out of Add mode.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:23:02 -0800, "Misha"
wrote:

Is there an alternative to Control and Select to select multiple ranges in
Excel? My friend has the use of only her right hand, after a stroke, and is
finding it very hard to use this feature.
Thanks

David McRitchie

Hi Misha,
Try looking up "sticky keys" which means you press one key at a time.

Microsoft and other vendors such as IBM have help for those with
disabilities and have contact information as well.

Accessibility / Disability / Impaired Sight / Keyboard Access (#accessibility)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#accessibility

In fact you may note the links remain the same for IBM after several years,
but none of the accessibility links work for Microsoft (four week half life).
So you might start here for the links at Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/
but first look in your system help for accessibility and in your
Excel help for accessibility.
---
HTH,

"Misha" wrote in message ...
Is there an alternative to Control and Select to select multiple ranges in
Excel? My friend has the use of only her right hand, after a stroke, and is
finding it very hard to use this feature.
Thanks

David McRitchie

Take a look at Control Settings, Accessibility
for modifying accessibility options.

If she has complete control of her right hand, I would
certainly suggest getting a five button wheel mouse.
You can see my own settings at
My Notes on Mouse Wheel and Button Settings
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mouse.txt

Preferably (in my opinion) with button 4 on left side and
button 5 on right side rather than both on same side.

Following Gord's suggestion the use of Shift+F8
might be a better shortcut for your friend for the
wheel button (I have it set to Enter).

You might take a look at these pages particularly at
the identified fragment ids (#...).
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm#mouse
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm

Andy

SHIFT and F8 keys she can place Excel into "Add" mode.

I'd like to put this on a toolbar button, but I can't find the command
in CustomizeCommands (I wish Excel had an "all commands" choice like
Word).

If there isn't a command I could drag to the toolbar, what would be
the VBA code to toggle "Add" mode?

TIA,

Andy

David McRitchie

Hi Andy,

You probably want to use sticky keys, but to turn on ADD mode
which you'll see in the status bar
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/statusbar.htm

To make a macro I think you would need to use Sendkeys
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...thsendkeys.asp

+ for Shift {F8} for F8

I can't make a toggle for you because I don't know how to
detect if "ADD" is on. So with this you would have to hit
F8 twice to turn off, unless someone knows more about this.

Sub ADD_mode()
Application.SendKeys "+{F8}"
End Sub

To make a toolbar button see
Toolbars, Custom Buttons and Menus
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/toolbars.htm

Place the word "ADD" into a cell, provide a background color
Make the button square so you can see what it will look like
because it will be distorted to 16 x 16 bits.
Select the cell, copy (ctrl+c),
Tools, customize, Command (tab), macro (on left),
drag the macro button with the happy face to the toolbar
Right click on the new button,
Paste Button
Right click on the new button
Assign macro
edit button, paste, assign your macro.

Or you can skip the macros by setting a mouse button such
as the wheel button in Control Panel (mouse).
---
HTH,

"Andy" wrote in message ...
SHIFT and F8 keys she can place Excel into "Add" mode.

I'd like to put this on a toolbar button, but I can't find the command
in CustomizeCommands (I wish Excel had an "all commands" choice like
Word).

If there isn't a command I could drag to the toolbar, what would be
the VBA code to toggle "Add" mode?

TIA,

Andy

Andy

Sub ADD_mode()
Application.SendKeys "+{F8}"
End Sub

This'll do David, even if I have to <escape or Shift-F8 twice out of
it (a right click sort of works also).

-----------------------

I didn't know I could paste anything onto a Custom Button, I thought I
was limited to pasting button icons from FaceID.

Thanks!

Andy

David McRitchie

Should have also mentioned centering the text
vertically with Format, cells, alignment
before pasting it to a button.

"Andy" wrote
I didn't know I could paste anything onto a Custom Button, I thought I
was limited to pasting button icons from FaceID.

Andy

Should have also mentioned centering the text
vertically with Format, cells, alignment
before pasting it to a button.

I've been fooling with how to make it look like I want. I'll go back
and see if I covered what you mention.

Thanks,

Andy