Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Patricia Shannon

Default hyperlink base did not save

Using Excel 2003, when we create a new spreadsheet, if we specify the
hyperlink base, it is not saved when the files is closed.
However, we have some files that do save the hyperlink base. They might
have been saved with another version of Excel, I don't know. If these files
are copied or saved-as, the copies also work. On the files that work, the
hyperlink base can be deleted, and later re-created, and they continue to
work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Patricia Shannon

I know our office is not the only place with this problem, because we found a
reference to it on a web search, but the reference had been deleted.

What we are doing is, I made a copy of a file that works and deleted
everything, getting an empty file that works. Now we copy our data into that
file from a file that doesn't work, and get a file that does work. Also, we
are copying the hyperlink base into the comments block
(file/properties/summary tab), so if the hyperlink base is lost, we will
still have the address, and can copy it into the hyperlink base when we need
it. Another idea I've suggested is that we can save the hyperlink base at
the beginning of the spreadsheet, and I could write a macro that runs when
the file opens, and uses the value in the cell to set the value of the
hyperlink base.