RescueEMT72

Default Repeating formula in Excel

Hi. I need to copy a number into 500 rows, with each number increasing by 1
in value. These numbers are used to track call numbers, so the format is
like this: 2005-001 and I need it to repeat itself up to 2005-0550, and I
don't want to spend the time typing each value in manually. Someone please
help!!!
tjtjjtjt

One way:
Delete the dash from your number.
Select the cell with the number.
Go to Format | Cells | Number.
Choose Custom and type:
0000-000
click okay.
Then, (still with the same cell selected) go to Edit | Fill | Series.
Make sure the Step Value is 1.
Change to Columns and put a stop value of 2005550.
Click okay.

tj

"RescueEMT72" wrote:

Hi. I need to copy a number into 500 rows, with each number increasing by 1
in value. These numbers are used to track call numbers, so the format is
like this: 2005-001 and I need it to repeat itself up to 2005-0550, and I
don't want to spend the time typing each value in manually. Someone please
help!!!

Gordon

RescueEMT72 wrote:
Hi. I need to copy a number into 500 rows, with each number
increasing by 1 in value. These numbers are used to track call
numbers, so the format is like this: 2005-001 and I need it to repeat
itself up to 2005-0550, and I don't want to spend the time typing
each value in manually. Someone please help!!!

Type in 2005-002 into the next row down, highlight both cells, put the
cursor on the bottom right-hand corner when it will turn into a "+" and
doulble-click. That will put ascending values into all the cells until you
get to the end.

Gord Dibben

Enter 2005-001 in A1

Right-click on A1 and drag down column A to A550.

Release button and "Fill Series".

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"RescueEMT72" wrote:

Hi. I need to copy a number into 500 rows, with each number increasing by 1
in value. These numbers are used to track call numbers, so the format is
like this: 2005-001 and I need it to repeat itself up to 2005-0550, and I
don't want to spend the time typing each value in manually. Someone please
help!!!

Gordon

Gord Dibben wrote:
Enter 2005-001 in A1

Right-click on A1 and drag down column A to A550.

Interesting. In Excel 2002, right-clicking brings up the context menu and
you CAN'T drag down the column.

Gordon

Gordon wrote:
Gord Dibben wrote:
Enter 2005-001 in A1

Right-click on A1 and drag down column A to A550.

Interesting. In Excel 2002, right-clicking brings up the context menu
and you CAN'T drag down the column.

Ah. You have to right click on the CORNER of the cell, where the cursor
changes to a "+"

David McRitchie

Hi Gordon,
that little bulge is called the fill handle, read more about
the fill handle and mouse control at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
---
HTH,

"Gordon" wrote in message ...
Gordon wrote:
Gord Dibben wrote:
Enter 2005-001 in A1

Right-click on A1 and drag down column A to A550.

Interesting. In Excel 2002, right-clicking brings up the context menu
and you CAN'T drag down the column.

Ah. You have to right click on the CORNER of the cell, where the cursor
changes to a "+"

Gord Dibben

Thanks David

Gordon

Apologies for not explaining the process of grabbing the "fill handle" at the
lower right corner of the cell.

Note: you must have ToolsOptionsEdit "Allow cell drag and drop"
enabled(checked) or the handle will not appear.

"Gordon" wrote in message ...
Gordon wrote:
Gord Dibben wrote:
Enter 2005-001 in A1

Right-click on A1 and drag down column A to A550.

Interesting. In Excel 2002, right-clicking brings up the context menu
and you CAN'T drag down the column.

Ah. You have to right click on the CORNER of the cell, where the cursor
changes to a "+"

David McRitchie

Thanks Gord,
That wasn't on my 13 pages (if printed) on fill handle.