L Mehl

Default References to open/hidden workbooks become hard-coded in formulas - 2003

Hello --

Can someone tell me if the following problem is caused by an Excel
configuration setting, or is there another reason for it?

Problem: References to cells in opened but hidden workbooks become
hard-coded in formulas.

In the set of related workbooks we deliver to him, an example formula merely
includes the workbook name, as in
= Engineering.xls!cx_qam

When he sends the set of workbooks back to us for checking, debugging, etc.,
this formula would appear as
= 'C:\Documents and Settings\username\My
Documents\folder_path_below_this\Engineering.xls'! cx_qam

Thanks for any help or direction on this.

Larry Mehl

---

no. this is hard coded into excel itself and usually
occurs when emailing or copy/paste to another workbook.
put the files on a public drive if you can then have him
open them from the public drive.

Can someone tell me if the following problem is caused

by an Excel
configuration setting, or is there another reason for it?

Problem: References to cells in opened but hidden

workbooks become
hard-coded in formulas.

In the set of related workbooks we deliver to him, an

example formula merely
includes the workbook name, as in
= Engineering.xls!cx_qam

When he sends the set of workbooks back to us for

checking, debugging, etc.,
this formula would appear as
= 'C:\Documents and Settings\username\My
Documents\folder_path_below_this\Engineering.xls' !cx_qam

Thanks for any help or direction on this.

Larry Mehl

---

Checked by AVG anti-virus system

(http://www.grisoft.com).

11/24/2004

.

L Mehl

A --

Thanks.

I think we will require that all users install in the same folder, as well
as add code to the "calling" workbook to hide selected other workbooks.

Larry