Michael Saffer

Default Inserting Blank Rows Macro?

Hello group :)

I am trying to find a function or macro that will insert a blank row in
Excel whenever certain data changes in column A.

In the example below, column A shows geographical delivery routes within a
city. The city is designated by the first 4 characters in the number. The
last two numbers are the delivery route itself. So in the example, the
first 8 records begin with 1019 meaning Jacksonville. The last two numbers
are the delivery route.

The delivery routes in the next city, Tampa, all begin with 1023, Daytona's
begin with 1025, and so on. Is there a function I can use to insert a blank
row wherever the first 4 numbers change in column A? Then to complicate
things even further, can this function also count records in each city and
show a total in the A column where the blank row was created? Lets say
right under the Jacksonville routes, the 1019's?

I would be very happy if I could just insert a blank row but the total by
city would be awesome too. Any help is enormously appreciated.

Here is a short example:

A B C
101966 Start 11/8/2004
101966 Start 11/8/2004
101966 Start 11/8/2004
101966 Start 11/8/2004
101968 Start 11/8/2004
101969 Start 11/8/2004
101969 Start 11/8/2004
101970 Start 11/8/2004
102321 Start 11/8/2004
102323 Start 11/8/2004
102335 Start 11/8/2004
102335 Start 11/8/2004
102345 Start 11/8/2004
102347 Start 11/8/2004
102360 Start 11/8/2004
102360 Start 11/8/2004
102360 Start 11/8/2004
102371 Start 11/8/2004
102371 Start 11/8/2004
102517 Start 11/8/2004
102531 Start 11/8/2004
102534 Start 11/8/2004
102535 Start 11/8/2004
102543 Start 11/8/2004
102543 Start 11/8/2004
102579 Start 11/8/2004
102702 Start 11/8/2004
102702 Start 11/8/2004
102702 Start 11/8/2004
102712 Start 11/8/2004
102712 Start 11/8/2004
102714 Start 11/8/2004
102714 Start 11/8/2004
102714 Start 11/8/2004
102714 Start 11/8/2004

Thank you
Michael Saffer

Ken Wright

LOL - Take a look at Data / Subtotals. This will insert a blank line when
the data changes in whatevere column yous pecify and either give you a sum or
count of the data in the field(s) you specify, which i think sounds very much
like what you want. ;-)

Regards

"Michael Saffer" wrote:

[...]

Michael Saffer

Hey Ken,
Thank you very much. I remember your name. You have helped me in the past.
Regards!
Michael Saffer