Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
joeeng

Default Link Updates

I am using Excel 2002. I have 9 workbooks which have extensive linking.
Eight of the workbooks auto update the links when they are opened by
themselves. One workbook, however, gives me the warning that some links
cannot be updated when it is opened by itself. Also, I do not get the
warning when the other two linked workbooks are opened at the same time I
open this workbook. Now, the links do seem to be updating, there are no #REF
errors in the workbook, and the link status window shows all links as OK
(upon opening by itself or when manually updated). Does anyone have any
ideas why this is happening and how to correct it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Jezebel

Check for links in Name definitions, and bear in mind you might need to
check each sheet in the workbook individually, in case the names are
sheet-level rather than book-level. Links within names update only if the
source link source is open; and Excel is very ungraceful about its error
messages in relation to this.

The problem can arise if you have a formula that refers to a name on another
sheet in the same workbook; then you do a SaveAs or move sheets between
books. Under some circumstances the formula will maintain a reference to the
*original* workbook, not the duplicated sheet in the new one.