BHellings

Default I am entering data but it appears as a date in excel

We have changed our customer ID Numbers to include a single digit number
before a 3 letter code.
When I try to use these new codes Excel instantly changes the codes into
dates.
I have tried to change the cell format from general to number but it makes
no difference what formate should I be using
An example is as follows:
Customer Name: Mariah Security
Old code: MAR001
New Code: 3MAR01
The new code displays as the 3rd of March 2001 (Naturally)
The 3 which has been inserted represents Victoria so I cannot get around
using it as it is a directive from Head office.
Thsi is throwing my worksheets out.
Help
Bronwyn
Ragdyer

Pre-format the column as Text.
Formatting *after* data entry doesn't help.

On a cell by cell basis, entering an apostrophe *first*, as the first
character before the number will allow you to enter your special numbers,
AND, it will not be visible in the cell, but can be seen in the formula bar.
--
HTH,

RD

"BHellings" wrote in message
We have changed our customer ID Numbers to include a single digit number
before a 3 letter code.
When I try to use these new codes Excel instantly changes the codes into
dates.
I have tried to change the cell format from general to number but it makes
no difference what formate should I be using
An example is as follows:
Customer Name: Mariah Security
Old code: MAR001
New Code: 3MAR01
The new code displays as the 3rd of March 2001 (Naturally)
The 3 which has been inserted represents Victoria so I cannot get around
using it as it is a directive from Head office.
Thsi is throwing my worksheets out.
Help
Bronwyn

Gord Dibben

Pre-format the cells as Text or type an apostrophe before 3MAR01

Gord Dibben Excel MVP