IMRAN

Default ANY FORMULA FOR CHECK =ISBOLD(A1)

Hey

I need the formula which tell me that any specific cell contains the text
that text is bold or not, and, italic or not.

is there any formula to check it =ISBOLD(A1)
Niek Otten

You can use this VBA function:

Function isbold(a As Range) As Boolean
Application.Volatile
isbold = a.Font.Bold
End Function

There is a problem: Changing the font is not changing the value, so Excel
thinks it is not necessary to recalc the function. You'll have to force a
recalc with F9.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"IMRAN" wrote in message
Hey

I need the formula which tell me that any specific cell contains the text
that text is bold or not, and, italic or not.

is there any formula to check it =ISBOLD(A1)

ivano

"IMRAN" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hey

I need the formula which tell me that any specific cell contains the text
that text is bold or not, and, italic or not.

is there any formula to check it =ISBOLD(A1)

Ciao IMRAN

you can insert a define name as bold
....that refer to:
=GET.CELL(20,INDIRECT("rc[-1]",FALSE))

In worksheet in A1 you have test
In B1 you type: =bold
that return TRUE or FALSE

This formula is not volatile

ivano

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Where can I read about syntaxes like this? (I use Excel2000) In Excel Help
on keyword GET I got only an entry (VBA Help) about reading data from ASCII
file, and for worksheet function CELL() there is nothing about parameter 20.
The name is working, but I haven't a clue why!

Arvi Laanemets

"ivano" wrote in message

"IMRAN" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hey

I need the formula which tell me that any specific cell contains the

text
that text is bold or not, and, italic or not.

is there any formula to check it =ISBOLD(A1)

Ciao IMRAN

you can insert a define name as bold
...that refer to:
=GET.CELL(20,INDIRECT("rc[-1]",FALSE))

In worksheet in A1 you have test
In B1 you type: =bold
that return TRUE or FALSE

This formula is not volatile

ivano

Frank Kabel

Hi
just to add: This kind of 'formulas' / defined names could crash Excel
prior to version 2003 if you copy these formulas to other sheets

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

ivano wrote:
"IMRAN" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hey

I need the formula which tell me that any specific cell contains the
text that text is bold or not, and, italic or not.

is there any formula to check it =ISBOLD(A1)

Ciao IMRAN

you can insert a define name as bold
...that refer to:
=GET.CELL(20,INDIRECT("rc[-1]",FALSE))

In worksheet in A1 you have test
In B1 you type: =bold
that return TRUE or FALSE

This formula is not volatile

ivano

Dana DeLouis

I had a hard time finding this at Microsoft's "new and improved" help site.
Fortunately, I had a copy...

You may be interested in this...

Excel 2000 Help File: Running Excel 4.0 Macros

HTH
--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"ivano" wrote in message

"IMRAN" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hey

I need the formula which tell me that any specific cell contains the

text
that text is bold or not, and, italic or not.

is there any formula to check it =ISBOLD(A1)

Ciao IMRAN

you can insert a define name as bold
...that refer to:
=GET.CELL(20,INDIRECT("rc[-1]",FALSE))

In worksheet in A1 you have test
In B1 you type: =bold
that return TRUE or FALSE

This formula is not volatile

ivano

ivano

"Frank Kabel" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi
just to add: This kind of 'formulas' / defined names could crash Excel
prior to version 2003 if you copy these formulas to other sheets

Can you tell me about this problem? there's link to explain defined names
crash Excel ?
Thank very much
ivano

Bob Phillips

AFAIAA there is no documentation on this problem, but this previous post
from Harlan Grove sums it up nicely...

One thing the nice KB article DOESN'T mention is that if you copy any range
containing a cell formula dereferencing a defined name referring to an XLM
macro function and try to paste into another worksheet, you'll CRASH Excel
97 and 2K (others have confirmed that this has been fixed in XP). CRASH as
in Excel throws an exception and DIES, giving you NO CHANCE to save your
work. If you like unnecessary thrills, go for it. Otherwise wrap your XLM
calls inside VBA udfs (or dispense with XLM entirely and just use VBA udfs).

--

HTH

RP