Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.links
come_mon_come_mon!

Default How to keep cell font setting after inserting hyperlink

Hi,

I have a problem with my MS Excel 2002 (actually it exists in MS Excel
97 too). Every time I'd associated a hyperlink with the text inside a
cell, the font will get change e.g. from Arial (size 10) to Arial (size
7). How can I instruct Excel to keep the original font setting without
change ?

:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.links
come_mon_come_mon!

David McRitchie 寫道:

Style, Hyperlink from your menu, uncheck fontsize

Can't find out your suggested menu option. I don't know whether you are
talking about Format-Cell Format option or Tools-Options tabs (I
guess not so). Anyway, no option found in my menu has your suggested
function.

:(

--
---
HTH,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.links
Ed Ferrero

Use the Format - Style menu.

This opens a dialog box. If you have added hyperlinks to the worksheet, you
should see two styles added to the drop-down; Hyperlink and Followed
Hyperlink.

Select each of these in turn and click Modify - set the fornt size to what
you require, then click ok.

Ed Ferrero
http://www.edferrero.com

"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote in message
ups.com...

David McRitchie ??:

Style, Hyperlink from your menu, uncheck fontsize

Can't find out your suggested menu option. I don't know whether you are
talking about Format-Cell Format option or Tools-Options tabs (I
guess not so). Anyway, no option found in my menu has your suggested
function.

:(

--
---
HTH,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.links
come_mon_come_mon!

Ed Ferrero 寫道:

Use the Format - Style menu.

This opens a dialog box. If you have added hyperlinks to the worksheet, you
should see two styles added to the drop-down; Hyperlink and Followed
Hyperlink.

Select each of these in turn and click Modify - set the fornt size to what
you require, then click ok.

Ed Ferrero
http://www.edferrero.com

Oh! I found it. It seems work fine when I add hyperlink. But the font
size or style will change but not as I wish as I remove the hyperlink
by right clicking my mouse at the hyerlinked cell then choose to remove
hyperlink.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.links
David McRitchie

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the corrections, didn't realize you HAD to select a fontsize
under modify as opposed to letting it default. While fontsize is changed
immediately it appears that color is applied only to the selection range
or actually that everything in the selection range would be changed to
hyperlink style, whether it's a hyperlink or not.

Need a little work on understanding SCOPE of style changes and can't narrow
anything down in Google about style in Excel.

Besides "hyperlink" style there is also "followed hyperlink" style and that
seems to kick in once the hyperlink is selected during normal usage
of a hyperlink (it has it's own fontsize)..

Good grief, look at all of the newsgroups selected, any mistake in one
is made to 3 newsgroups.

---
HTH,

"Ed Ferrero" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.links
come_mon_come_mon!

David McRitchie 寫道:

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the corrections, didn't realize you HAD to select a fontsize
under modify as opposed to letting it default. While fontsize is changed
immediately it appears that color is applied only to the selection range
or actually that everything in the selection range would be changed to
hyperlink style, whether it's a hyperlink or not.

Need a little work on understanding SCOPE of style changes and can't narrow
anything down in Google about style in Excel.

Besides "hyperlink" style there is also "followed hyperlink" styleand that
seems to kick in once the hyperlink is selected during normal usage
of a hyperlink (it has it's own fontsize)..

Good grief, look at all of the newsgroups selected, any mistake in one
is made to 3 newsgroups.

---

I found another side effect of making the change. Originally, those
cells with hyperlinks inserted will have their font color changed from
default black to blue and text underlined. I don't need to place the
mouse pointer explicitly over the cell to check whether the cell has
hyperlink attached. After I made the change, all text appeared black,
regardless of whether the cells had hyperlinks assigned. That made me
confused because I need check each cell separately to see if hyperlink
was assigned.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.links
David McRitchie

Yes, that is what I meant by I have to learn more about scope.
Also curiously a followed hyperlink appears to apply to the specific cell.
Unlike a web browser where all references to a followed link are
immediately changed. (or at least if the page is reloaded/refreshed)

In other words, cells that become hyperlinks change to the style for a
hyperlink, but you probably only want to change the style of existing
hyperlinks only be first selecting hyperlinks.

You cannot select hyperlinks from Edit, Goto, Special, ...
But I do have a macro for selecting object type hyperlinks in BuildToc
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/exce/...lectHyperlinks

So you could use that macro before changing the style of those cells.
---
HTH,

<quote
"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote
I found another side effect of making the change. Originally, those
cells with hyperlinks inserted will have their font color changed from
default black to blue and text underlined. I don't need to place the
mouse pointer explicitly over the cell to check whether the cell has
hyperlink attached. After I made the change, all text appeared black,
regardless of whether the cells had hyperlinks assigned. That made me
confused because I need check each cell separately to see if hyperlink
was assigned.
<end quote

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.links
Ed Ferrero

Try this to see if it helps.

Go to the Format - Style menu. Click on the drop-down and enter 'MyLink' as
the style, this creates a new style. Uncheck everything except the Font box.
Click Modify and chane the Font settings to font size 10, bold, underlined,
color Green.

Now right-click a toolbar. Select Customize... from the context menu. Click
on the Format category. You should see the Style command in the right-hand
list. Click on the Style command and drag it to one of your toolbars.

Select a cell containing a hyperlink. You will see that the Style box that
you just dragged onto a toolbar shows the style is 'Hyperlink'. Change the
style to 'MyLink' using the toolbar drop-down.

Now the selected hyperlink is coloured green, all other hyperlinks still
have the 'Hyperlink' style and are not affected.

Note that if you edit the hyperlink it will revert to the 'Hyperlink' style.

Hope this helps with the scope.

Ed Ferrero
http://www.edferrero.com <-- its changed!

"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote