Jerrard

Default Unknown Character removal

In my imported workbook I have a rectangle at the end of
some cells that creates a huge space to the next row.
Nobody put them there but is there a way to globally
remove them through edit-replace? I tried by copy and
paste the rectangle...did not work.
I can make them go away and collapse the row manually but
there are too many rows to do this efficiently
Thank you.

Gord Dibben

Jerrard

Usually the rectangle is a carriage return which can be replaced in
EditReplace by using the ALT key and typing 0010 or 0013.

Download Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW add-in from

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

Load through ToolsAdd-ins.

Select the data and Chip's add-in will show you what the characters are.

If carriage returns you will be able to Replace them using ALT + 0010 or 0013

Most likely David McRitchie's TRIMALL macro will be of greatest assistance.
Cleans up what TRIM and CLEAN miss.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:06:40 -0800, "Jerrard"
wrote:

In my imported workbook I have a rectangle at the end of
some cells that creates a huge space to the next row.
Nobody put them there but is there a way to globally
remove them through edit-replace? I tried by copy and
paste the rectangle...did not work.
I can make them go away and collapse the row manually but
there are too many rows to do this efficiently
Thank you.

Jerrard

Hi Gord,
I think the editreplace is what I'd like to do however I
get a bell sound when I try and enter after the Alt key.
What am I doing wrong?
TIA

wrote:

In my imported workbook I have a rectangle at the end of
some cells that creates a huge space to the next row.
Nobody put them there but is there a way to globally
remove them through edit-replace? I tried by copy and
paste the rectangle...did not work.
I can make them go away and collapse the row manually

but
there are too many rows to do this efficiently
Thank you.

.

Gord Dibben

Jerrard

My steps.........don't get a bell sound.

Select a cell or column.

EditReplace

what: hold ALT key and enter 0010 on NumPad(gray keys on right-side of
keyboard). Make sure NumLock is enabled.

with: leave blank or enter a <space

Replace All.

Gord